Phil Leigh;538958 Wrote:
> I haven't got time to get deeply into this a the moment but:
>
> 1) if you can only hear a very very quiet sound with your ear pressed
> against a driver I can absolutely guarantee you can't hear it at all at
> 1 metre/3 feet away. The inverse square rule sees to that.
>
> 2) any sound in the 3 least significant bits is going to be totally
> masked by other higher level sounds >99.9% of the time. This is
> partially why good MP3 can be VERY hard to detect...
>

> 3) The sound simply does not collapse into a catastrophically dynamic
> range limited, noisy mess if the digital volume is not at 100. You have
> to go way lower than that... Final thought. You are listening to a
> track. It starts to fade out. Does the sound quality collapse or does
> it just get quieter. You know how that fade was achieved? ...yes you've
> guessed...
>

> 4) I don't care if my DAC can only resolve to 20-bits since the best
> ADC's in the world struggle to get 20-bits of usable signal. The bottom
> 4 bits are always just noise...

RE: 1) Your trying find the LIMIT of your DAC, not your ear or what you
can hear normally. It's useful to know that limit. It's useful to prove
your point in #4 to yourself. It also helps verify you system is truely
passing 24bit to the DAC. And in one system where I thought I was, I'm
not.

RE: 2) Correct, the 4 most least signifcant bits are in audible. So why
shift higher (audible) bits into the least significant bits that are
inaudible and cannot be even amplified back if your DAC can't resolve
that low.

RE: 3) Don't assume attenuation is only achieved shifting things down
digitally. You can have soft full scale data. Read up on Compression
and Expansion. Even if Fading is done purely by digital amplitude why
would you want to operate always "Faded" (attenuated digitally).

RE: 4) I agree with #4. Folks keep saying "but it's 24-Bit Volume" so
you won't lose anything audible (that's the mistake). NO, it's more
like 20-Bit Volume (or less) and you will hear a difference. Because
your DAC really runs at 20Bit-ish (at BEST with your EAR plastered to
driver at full volume) and the extra 4 bits in 24bit volume are
completely useless.

That's why I did the test to see what the limit of the DAC is (in the
best case). If the DAC came out 24bits that means with enough
amplication you can get those real low level bits that were attenuated
back into audible range. But if your DAC is really 20bit's then what
your shifting out IS audible and can't be recovered (even by
amplifying).

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)