I've studied the Meridian papers and the 518 manual.
In 1995, the 518 was addressing certain very real problems that to some
extent have now been addressed in other ways.
Specifically, their major concern is optimising the transfer function
across boundaries where bit-depth changes and preserving/improving the
"subjective dynamic range" (their term) across boundaries of equal
bit-depth.

Where DSP functions such as gain control act on digital signals they
introduce errors (noise) in the LSB's. For a signal well below
full-scale (say 30dB - a very quiet section in a piece of classical
music) the MSB carrying musical signal is only a few bits away from the
noise floor. Errors introduced in the LSB will be more audible here. So
they advocate, amongst other things, raising the gain of a track so
that it peaks at full scale (or even occasionally clips) in order to
maximise the gap between the LSB errors and the music.

This is perfectly logical, not voodoo and indeed what I and 99% of
people who have ever mixed/mastered anything would do - although there
are many different ways of doing it.

For dealing with very brief clippping on individual tracks for
instance, I would manually edit the handful of samples involved to
reduce their level to full scale - effectively a manual compression
operation, albeit rather time consuming and fiddly. In practice this
would enable a master mix at near full-scale peaking without having to
leave 3-6dB headroom across the track as a whole. One could also use
soft-clip digital (or analogue) limiters to achieve the same thing -
this can be abused (loudness wars).

Anyway, all of the above is very pertinent to what happens prior to
dithering down to 16-bit for CD manufacture.

Bear in mind that in 1995 full-chain 24/96 recording was not
available... and that 20-bit DACs were not common in domestic
settings.

The term "subjective dynamic range" is important... they are talking
about keeping the dsp-generated noise in the LSB as far away as
possible away from the signal. So, it's really a discussion about SNR.

I think this is where we are talking at cross-purposes. AUDIBLE dynamic
range is the difference between the max/min SPL actually produced by
your speakers (excluding the noise floor post-DAC) - i.e. what you
hear! A DAC signal has a fixed, finite theoretical "dynamic range"
determined by the number of bits (96/144). In practice, this is limited
by noise in the LSB's (from a variety of causes) and the real-world
20-bit limitation of audio ADC's.

Using Meridians own graph, the scope of human hearing is 19-bits.
This is why a 20-bit replay chain can outperform a 16-bit one with
20-bit source material. However because of auditory masking, the
EFFECTIVE (ie the difference between the loudest and softest sounds you
can actually discern at the same time) "subjective dynamic range" is
more like 60-75dB (10-13 bits). This is why good FM radio, analogue
master tape and even vinyl can sound great!

The LSB errors that Meridian are (rightly) concerned with are MUCH less
important with a 24/20 bit chain  - as they are at/below the scope of
human hearing. Also, the MSB-LSB gap is greater at all times, even on
quieter passages so the LSB noise remains further from the music.

This is why many people love tracking at 24-bit - you can run with
(say) 18dB of headroom for the occasional peaks without needing
compression and not worry too much about the noise floor - you simply
wouldn't do that with 16-bit - you'd run as near full scale as you dare
and use a hard-knee compressor for safety - but then the compression is
irreversible and the original dynamics have been permanently
altered...

So returning to the original topic of this thread, what level of
digital attenuation in an SD device is deleterious to the sound?

The OP's opinion is "any digital attenuation is bad" (but presumably
analogue attenuation POST-DAC is fine?)

My position is that both analogue and (properly designed 24-bit or
greater) digital attenuation are audibly indistinguishable on decent
downstream equipment... until you reach the point where the EFFECTIVE
(ie resolvable) subjective dynamic range is compromised. IME this
doesn't begin to happen until you get down to below 13 "live bits" on
16-bit source material (19 on 24-bit material)

So, incorrect gain staging can induce this. Stay below 18dB of digital
24-bit attenuation on 16-bit material, use a 24/20 bit DAC and all
should be fine...

On 24-bit material, up to 30dB of 24-bit digital attenutaion should be
fine.

And remember, once something is so quiet you can't hear it, it doesn't
matter HOW it go to be that quiet...

For the last time... if you can't hear a marching band mixed into
Brahms Lullaby in the bottom 3-bits of a 16-bit full-scale peak
recording, you can't hear the bottom 3-bits of the Lullaby either!!!!

If ANYONE can pass this test (or indeed if anyone can tell me how to
cheat the test - and there are enough clues in this post to answer that
conundrum) we can talk further..

By the way, I was looking at some very quiet passages on 16-bit
classical stuff and the lowest level I could find was 40dB (7 bits)...
and that was right at the very beginning of a quiet track. So even
losing 3 bits is not fatal to the music... although for that brief
period the SNR will only be 24dB or so...

Does it sound bad - no, just quieter.
Can you hear the worsened SNR? - not at normal listening volumes. If
you boost the post-DAC gain to speaker-threatening levels and press
your ear to the tweeter... yes. I wouldn't advise this.

Can any of this be measured? - yes. A final point to all of those
worried about "loss of resolution", which I take to mean they think
that bits of music signal are being damaged... use ADM and prove it to
yourself. How far do you have to attenuate before the null difference
is not just white noise?

That's your homework... now play nicely.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio