Robin Bowes;542150 Wrote:
> On 01/05/10 03:02, mswlogo wrote:
> >
> > Robin Bowes;542141 Wrote:

> >> .... or you're possibly using the term incorrectly.
> >>
> >> Would you care to elucidate further what you mean by "just an itty
> bit
> >> of clipping"?
> >>
> >> R.
> >
> > Sorry I don't have much time right now. But exactlty that. An itty
> bit
> > (say 10 samples by 1dB is sign a meticulous mixing job. If I see 3db
> or
> > 6db of headroom for no reason that's just lazy. Does a song have to
> have
> > a be clipping to be a good mix no. But most do. It's better to clip
> the
> > fringes than to compress or attentuate just avoid clipping a few
> > samples.
>
> You have just spent rather a long time doing some bizarre test which
> advises folk never to use digital attenuation because of the damage it
> causes to the signal, and now you're suggesting that cutting off whole
> samples by 1dB is fine???
>
> This is truly priceless!! You really have no understanding of either
> analogue or digital audio engineering, do you?
>
> R.

I work with analog and digital signals at data rates that would make
your head spin.

Replies like yours are priceless.

I'm sorry that the clipping I'm referring to is beyond your grasp.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)