This can also be done in hardware. You can tap into the I2C control
lines, run the wires to a little control panel with a couple switches
(one for clock and one for data, and some simple debounce circuitry).
You program the chip by flipping the switches in the right sequence to
program the registers on the chip. It takes a lot of switch flipping,
but its very cheap and easy to do to try it out. If you like it you can
make it permanent with a little processor or CPLD to program the
register.

I've done this on other boxes (NOT a transporter) and it works very
well. I personally definitely like the sound with the slow rolloff
setting, but not everybody does. In one listening session with several
people in attendance most of the people liked the slow mode, but one
guy said "what did you DO? It sounds terrible!"

If someone really wants to tackle this I can give some pointers. Just
realize that anytime you go in with a soldering iron you risk frying
something. So I would say this should only be attempted by people who
know what they are doing and are willing to risk their transporter.
(even better if its someone elses you are willing to risk!)

John S.

--
JohnSwenson