Earwaxer9, you're right, being a rocker greatly increases the
arbitrariness factor in evaluating an audio system. Very few rock & pop
albums are actually a recreation of a live event, and the recordings
often contain heavy doses of artificial processing effects.

I've got a very eclectic taste in music and pretty much run the gamut.
However, it was quite some time ago that I settled on acoustic music,
both voice and instruments, as my criteria for judging a music system.
(That does take in quite a bit of territory besides classical, as a lot
of jazz, folk and bluegrass music doesn't contain much in the way of
amplified or processed music.)

I found that if a system gets the acoustic stuff right, that I'm also
pretty happy with the rock, pop and other material. It is also a lot
easier than constantly chasing what I imagine an artificially processed
recording "should" sound like.

--
mlsstl