On 01/10/10 13:34, michael123 wrote:

> empty99;579995 Wrote:
>> To me High End may not be HI FI, which is High Fidelity. High End can
>> sometimes be Anything You Wanted with lots of money ;^)
>
> Just take two boxes - Transporter and Touch - and open them side by
> side.
> There are no miracles.. Two good toroidal power supplies, separate
> wiring for the front panel, Jung regulators, transformer-coupled
> outputs, high quality AKM DAC, fully balanced design (e.g. 4
> amplification paths, "+" and "-" for each channel) with proper sum for
> unbalanced outputs, precision clock (not the Audiocom Ultraclock, but
> better than most hi-fi there), etc.
>
> There is nothing to compare between these two...
> One is mass-market gadget, another is a personal achievement, statement
> from Sean Adams..

You're making an huge assumption that all that stuff makes any
difference, esp. if the touch is connected to a DAC.

The Transporter is well-engineered, sure, but most of that is the for
the analogue outputs, and I seem to recall Sean saying that the Touch
DAC is actually pretty similar to the Transporter.

Now, I haven't personally compared Transporter with Touch, so I'm not
claiming that the one is better or worse than the other. However,
regular contributors to this forum whose opinion I would trust have
claimed that the Touch with a DAC is as good as the Transporter.

So, I don't think it's as simple as saying "don't consider anything
other than Transporter for high-end systems".

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/