opaqueice;581689 Wrote:
> That many audiophiles obsess over imagined differences that even they
> cannot really hear.  That makes them easy to mock; it marginalizes
> their views (note the reference to Pear cables in the label for this
> subforum). So when a real issue of sound quality comes along it's hard
> to get anyone to pay attention.

True indeed and thanks for clarification.

opaqueice;581689 Wrote:
> The problem with that view is that it's contradicted by evidence.  If it
> were true, it would apply to all tests, including all science
> experiments (which are carried out using differing equipment in
> different labs on different days by different people when the earth is
> in a different place and the weather outside is different...).  And
> yet, experiments teach us that the world seems to function according to
> predictable rules, and those rules can be isolated and studied in
> controlled experiments.  That goes holds true for experiments in
> acoustics and psychoacoustics.
>
> Why audiophiles seem to think that audibility of various effects is a
> different category from every other phenomenon has always mystified me.
> But with that said, we're not talking about science - we're talking
> about the hobby of a few wealthy eccentrics, who are free to do
> anything they want.

Again true on both parts, especially the second part. I only wish at I
was a "wealthy eccentric", since I may be a bit eccentric but I'm very
far from wealthy!

As for the first part isn't it also true the field of scientific
experiments where humans are concerned that the results of these tests
are often never 100%, in other words there are often subjects who
"fail" the test even when a vast majority of those tested "pass" the
test? One example being drug testing where getting the same result from
100% of the subjects is rarely the case.

Just to further clarify my position on this matter I am often at odds
with the audiophile community particularly when it comes to digital
audio. All the nonsense now being spewed about these days on things
like "high end" USB and Cat5 cables or wav versus flac files. I just
don't buy into the belief that DBT is the absolute answer, as I stated
earlier DBT is just another tool, a valuable tool but still just one of
many tools available.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch