Archimago;586040 Wrote:
> Thanks I'll have a look again.  I thought somehow that the decoded
> output was the upper 4-bits being 0, hence the need to amplify.
>
> Wasn't there also some issue with the 6 DB preemphasis?

In theory you could lower the volume by 24db/4bit without loosing data,
but that makes no sense :)

Never heard about a 6dB de-emphasis issue!?
De-emphasis is applied like an equalizer to the highs. Sometimes when
lowering the highs with de-emphasis the overall level of the file gets
lower, so you can amplify some dB.

--
Wombat

Transporter -> RG142 -> Avantgarde based monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 ->
self-made speakers