I've skim-read the entire thread so I know this is going to upset a few
people!

Hello Goodbye from Magical Mystery Tour.
Top - original album version (1988)
Bottom - remaster (2009)

I came into possession of the bottom one because we had a music evening
and one visitor provded it. Of course, out of curiosity I compared with
my own copy (top).

http://www.yeats.co.uk/public/Audio/hello-goodbye-waveform.jpg

The remaster seems to have dynamic compression applied. This might
explain why people hear the sound "leaping from the speakers". It does
leap alright, but not in a way I like. Standard comments about
compression - initially impressive but soon tiresome.

I did a sighted listening comparison on these two tracks shown and
bizarrely I preferred the remaster - it sounded less compressed?! My
world was in turmoil till I realised I had mixed up the play order. The
old one does indeed sound less compressed (and better, to my ears). Just
picked them out blind before writing this post - again preferred the
original.

If anyone wants to understand how dynamic compression is far more
important than 16 versus 24 bit just google Loudness War.

Now before you jump on me, know that THE BEATLES ARE MY FAVOURITE BAND.
Think about that - you guys are talking about my heros so it matters to
me. George Martin must be fuming and I am outraged, personally, that
they would mess with these fine recordings.

Looks like EMI have gone the way of countless other remasters on this
one. Look, it's hardly a freakish thing is it, that the remaster of
this track sounds worse? Most remasters do, and for the same reasons.

THIS is just common sense.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

SqueezeControl for Android