firedog;603544 Wrote:
> Phil, all the pub for the remasters from the engineers said that there
> was no remix (they worked only from the stereo masters, and not
> individual tracks). They did do selective limiting, EQ, editing,
> filtering, etc on the tracks. Especially noted that they compressed the
> stereo masters a few db (not the mono). All of this resulted in the bass
> and drums boost we hear.
>
> http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound-lab/behind-the-recordings/abbey-road-and-the-beatles-the-story-behind-the-remasters/
>
> http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/content/inside-making-beatles-remastered-catalog

Hmmm... thanks. As I said, it was just a quick listen :-) I was struck
by certain instrumental sounds which were slightly louder, but that
could have been achieved by frequency-dependant compression.

Likewise the balance of vocals to backing track as the track builds.

Mind you, there's not that much difference going back to the 4-track
vs. the stereo master :-)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.