I have finally retrieved the 88  version of MMT from the garage.
A quick listen confirms a couple of things:

1) this isn't a simple remaster, mix levels have been changed too
2) the track peak level of the 88 version is way too low (80dB) - the
09 version is 95dB
3) there is no limiting and only very mild (almost unnoticeable)
compression on the 09 version - TRY playing both versions as 2-track
"album" with replaygain tags set appropriately to level out the volume
differences...
4) the 09 version is thankfully missing the slightly "glassy" or "edgy"
upper-mid that the 88 version has
5) bass guitar and drums sound much better to me in the 09 version as
do the lower register vocals.

YMMV of course. For me the 2009 version wins handsomely.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.