On 10/03/11 20:35, magiccarpetride wrote:

> Robin Bowes;617050 Wrote:
>> On 10/03/11 20:24, magiccarpetride wrote:
>>>
>>> Those instruments are prized not only for their rarity, but because
>>> they sound better — leagues, worlds better — than any others.
>>
>> No they don't.
>>
>> There's as much snobbery and Emperor's new clothes in the violin world
>> as there is in the audiophile world.
>
> So, to your enlightened ears all violins sound pretty much the same?

<sigh>

If that was what I meant then that was what I would have said.

Over the years, a mythology has been created around instruments from
makers such as Stradivari, Guarneri, Amati, etc. leading people to
believe that they sound fantastically better than other instruments.
This has led them to become highly desirable, so much so that they are
usually only owned by the top players in the world, or bought as
investments by rich individuals or investment groups who often allow the
top players in the world to use them. This in turn perpetuates the myth
because you only ever hear these instruments being played by the very
best players, who invariably have a superb technique and would sound
fantastic on most professional-standard instruments.

Yes, these instruments certainly do sound fantastic and, arguably, they
do indeed sound "better" than other instruments, both old & new.
However, they are not "leagues, worlds better — than any others."

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/