Well I have a pair of home-built 2-way transmission line speakers, in
which I wired the drive units directly to a 4-way speaker plug in the
back of the cabinet.  Currently I have conventional crossovers in the
speaker bases, but connecting each drive unit to a separate source
remains a possibility.  A double-decker squeezebox could be an
interesting DIY project.  One squeezebox per speaker would mean that
left and right channel on each squeezebox would be completely different
- ie left=tweeter, right=bass driver.

Just as a matter of interest, how tight is the synchronisation between
2 synched squeezeboxes - is it good enough for each speaker to be on a
separate squeezebox, or for the bass drivers and tweeters to be on
separate squeezeboxes?

--
chill