JezA;623391 Wrote:
> 'Here'
> (http://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-majik-ds-i-da-integrated-amplifier-manufacturers-comment-2)
> are some measurements from right inside a Linn Majik DS-I network DAC
> showing the effects of the processor loading the powersupply every 5ms
> as an ethernet packet is received. So, such effects are measurable.
> Notice also that Linn say that the measured jitter inside the DS I is
> eight times worse via s/pdif than the jitter via ethernet.
>
> Doesn't mean you can extrapolate from this to any other player.
>
> Isn't it about time people on this thread backed up their speculations
> by some similarly clear measurements?
I can see text (quoted below) and can read the jitter measurements
which do indeed appear to be 8x lower with ethernet, but I have to
confess that I can't see where it is that the measurements or graph
show the 200Hz component or see how significant it is- however Linn
seem to think it is because the DSi is streamer/dac/amp and still think
its insignificant.

"..... indeed there is an additional jitter component at 200Hz during
Ethernet playback. This is caused by processor loading of the power
supply—during Ethernet playback there is processor activity at regular
5ms intervals. The Majik DS-I is an integrated product that inevitably
does not have such good power-supply isolation between different parts
of the circuit as we have in the Linn DS source-only products.

There is a small element of the 200Hz getting to the DAC's power
supply, and this is apparent on the measured graph. It is worth noting
that this disturbance is not audio-correlated, so is unlikely to have
an audible impact." Gilad Tiefenbrun, Linn Products

--
adamdea