snottmonster;624227 Wrote:
> Maybe it's me, but I'm pretty sure when I read my own post it says
> "protection against disk failure" - completely different to data back
> up which protects against a multitude of issues, not just a common
> hardware failure.
>
> Maybe your post is meant to convey that a vortex box is also RAID based
> - in which case thanks for the correction. Maybe you can also confirm
> that online expansion is supported?
>
> And indeed RAID is not a backup which is why I have 2 NAS, one a backup
> mirror of the other, and rotated offsite USB drives in addition.

Point taken and I agree. You and I obviously understand that
"protection against disk failure" means something different than
"protection of data on a disk". Subtle difference to be sure. And a
novice with NAS and raid can often misunderstand this point, assuming
that their data on the RAID NAS is "safe" when in fact, if all they
have is the NAS with raid, they may face data loss. As you know, the
ReadyNas forums are full of tales of woe for the user that assumed
their data was protected with only the NAS/Raid system.  My point was
simply to clarify this for the OP, just in case they didn't fully
understand. Your backup routine is certainly a best practice in this
regard (too few people understand the "off site" protection....how many
people do you know that carefully back up to a USB drive and leave it
sitting on the desk next to the computer with the original data! (so
they lose both to fire/theft/flood).

Sorry, I didn't clarify the VORTEXBOX appliance question you asked. I
don't really know whether vortexbox can be used in conjunction with a
RAID system. I suspect the answer is yes, as I'm guessing it can be
setup this way with the proper linux knowledge, etc. But the Vortexbox
system out of the box is NOT setup as a RAID system, and no one I know
using vortexbox (small sample) has a RAID setup.

--
garym