The reason for the >=1.5m length has to do with controlling signal
reflection due to impedance discontinuity on the receiving end.  For
example, my TacT 2.2xp has poor internal construction in terms of
impedance control.  A 1.5m cable sounded significantly better than a 1m
cable from my Transporter (stronger, deeper bass, better dynamics, etc).
It is because the longer cable will cause the reflection to travel a
longer distance and it allows the original signal rising edge to
complete the signal transition before the reflection arrives,
preventing interference to the original signal rising edge.  The cable
length is a function of output pulse transformer's pulse rising time,
cable dielectrics and cable inductance.  1.5m is probably on the best
case scenerio.  One can also put a 3db or 6db attenuator on the
receiving end, to reduce the effect on signal reflection.

If the signal receiving gear has well controlled impedance, then little
or no impedance discontinuity occurs.  A shorter cable is preferred in
this case.  It is because longer cable will have a longer signal rising
edge.  Usually, the addition signal delay is 1.4ns/ft.  In general, we
want shorter signal rising edge for better performance.

--
Kuro