Phil Leigh;604083 Wrote:
> Darren, you simply have to try both and see which you prefer. There are
> no hard rules, it depends on the DAC.
>
> As for glass vs plastic... for the lengths we are talking about it's
> irrelevant. I've used 5m cables with no drop-out/lock problems.
>
> IMO the most important part of any Toslink is NOT the cable, it's the
> connectors. If they aren't right, you can get significant transmission
> loss.

I have been experimenting a bit with the toslink. I decided to use
toslink  to my subwoffer DAC - some 20 ft from my rig. I started with
coax and switched out a cheap toslink for comparison. Very easy
decision. At least with the MSB Link III, toslink is much better over
that length. That was using an el-cheapo $5 plastic toslink cable. I
recently bought a glass one to replace the plastic. Quite frankly, I
thought the difference was going to be greater. It is "better", to the
extent that the bass is better defined, in that, it is quite a bit
easier to tune the sub to the rest of the system. This I have been
struggling with for quite some time. Never really happy with my
crossover frequency and always tweaking the steepness and band of the
crossover. In other words - a much wider "sweet spot" with the sub.

As far as the toslink connector - I cant see how that has anything to
do with the transmission of the light as long as its lined up properly.
My DAC will actually pick up the light signal and transmit very good
sound even before it is fully plugged in! I tried holding the cable a
few mm from the jack and I still got sound. I have seen "gold plated"
toslink connectors. Cant see the point! Its not electrical!

--
earwaxer9

System: modified Winsome Labs Mouse, modified Maggie MMG's, Transporter,
HSU sub 12, MSB DAC to 500 watt sub slave amp, JPS labs power cords,
Silver audio interconnect, Audioquest Granite speaker cable.