Hi,
I dont think these Lab supplies are suitable for HIFI purposes as
their is a lot of additional electronics and therefore noise in
providing a range of voltages and displaying them too.
I would agree that a well designed SMPS can beat a linear PSU. Even
LINN is using SMPS in its Products (the highly rated Dynamic).
I swapped the SMPS that was supplied with my VDAC, as it was
overvoltage and VDAC was running hot for a single voltage low ripple
SMPS and now the VDAC runs cool,which can only be better and more
consistent sound wise.

The biggest change I made to my system was using a PS Audio Power
Plant, the change was phenomenal. Previously I couldnt here any
differences between changing phono/digital cables until i fed all the
hifi power needs through the PPP. Now everything sounds clearer and i
can swap cables and here differences.
This may explain why some people think that sound differences between
cables is just audiophile foolery, mains noise just swamps subtlety.

--
c3p0