Mnyb;633589 Wrote:
> This is correct a good example is My own Meridian speakers they use the
> quite mundane classic seas 6,5" pp drivers for bass and midrange, this
> driver sounds good ,I had it before in for example a pair smaller Thiel
> speakers I owned in the 90's 1,2 ? or what was it, but it is not super
> expensive (I also had that driver in a pair of Opus3 speakers).
> But implementation is miles apart, The Meridian speakers uses 2 of them
> in 2,5 way active digital crossover design and is also digitally crossed
> over to my subwofer at 50Hz . My old Thiels was a passive first order
> filter bass reflex design, this really put high demands on the
> drivers.
>
> "same" driver is probably a an oversimplification as these can be
> ordered in different configurations if you are a speaker manufacturer
> you may want a slightly different fs or some TS parameter different
> than the off the shelf unit etc. (that is the interesting thing with
> auditechnology drivers as they offer these flexunits so that even diy
> people can have a customized application specific drivers)

Having an OEM specific driver is simply a matter of volume.   I can
design a transducer from scratch to any design specification that
someone would want (allowable by the physics) and the cost of a typical
6.5" midwoofer is in the $15 range (qty 1000).   The high-end
loudspeaker market is all about small volume though and most don't have
the in-house engineering to design a transducer.   That is where SS &
Seas make their niche.

--
Kevin Haskins