I'm nearer to MCR than others on certain points.

We can know things outside of the modern scientific method. His example
of fire burning might be considered scientific method, or not, depending
on your definition. But the point we knew stuff before modern science is
well made.

The person hears equipment X is better than Y. That's an observation,
fact, and science might explain such an observation in many ways. I
think that's a reasonable way to phrase things.

Speaking scientifically, theories don't prove other theories "wrong".
Observations can demonstrate where a theory's limit lies. There is no
"wrong" because there is no "right". Even a theory which explains all
currently available observations is not "right". Because future
observations may be contrary to those predicted by the theory. The
scientific method demands the search for such contrary observations.

Theories have degrees of usefulness, that's it. Newton's laws are still
used by NASA in certain contexts.
Darren

--
darrenyeats