On the DAC end of things there can be some "differences" that some may
prefer over others with certain systems. This is TOTALLY system and
level of consciousness dependent. One has to look at the bigger
picture. What sort of amp and speakers are involved? What sort of
syntheses are you looking for? I cant see ANY reason to replace my
Transporter. If I'm growing tired of the sound of my system's sound (as
I occasionally do) I will look elsewhere. I can see, at some stage,
updating the DAC. That will be some time in the future. To put it in
perspective, I substituted in my OLD MSB Link DAC III, just for the
jollies, with the Transporter. That TOTALLY outdated DAC sounded pretty
fine! Not up to the Transporter. Not as clean and refined. But quite
good. I could live with it if I had to.

--
earwaxer9

System: modified Winsome Labs Mouse, modified Maggie MMG's, Transporter,
HSU sub 12, MSB DAC to 500 watt sub slave amp, JPS labs power cords,
Silver audio interconnect, Audioquest Granite speaker cable.