My 2 cent.

I do consider the "stock" Touch an average sounding consumer device.
Not more , not less.

Putting all kind of functionality on such a small device is IMO one
of the main problems, when it comes to SQ related issues.
But that's a product management issue. Logitech needs to sell volumes.

Still - with a bit of intelligent programming focusing on SQ they could
have done much much better at a rediculous low effort.

Sonos is usally prefered not because of SQ.  People prefer Sonos
because
of Ease Of Use / Plug n Play. The operation of Squeezeproducts could
be done better. There's usually quite some hacking involved to get
things going.
And have a look at the control UI supplied by Logitech. This is
from my pespective nothing more than awful.
Kudos to Pipin, that he has developped iPeng.
Without iPeng The Squeezefamily would have been unacceptable to me.

People go for Linn because of SQ. The Control UI is also quite nice.
And there's something to sell for the dealer.

I was told by a dealer, that the effort to sell and explain a
Squeezebox Touch is at least ten times higher than a 10k amplifier.
Not to forget the support and numerous calls they receive afterwards.
You might already guess where these guys set priorities.

The Transporter got a branding problem. A "Logitech" device at such a
price point?!?! I do believe that the target group is quite small.
And I know that there are better DACs out there then a Transporter.
My guess is that people that are into high-end won't go for a Logitech
Transporter.

And many People want to stay flexible. A transport+external dac is that
what's required. That's why an SB Touch is probably rather successful.

Then Logitech has another problem. Product maintenance.

Since a year 7.6 beta is available. 7.6. beta is IMO seriously better
sounding than 7.5. Logitech obviously resolved some issues.
Why does it need such a long time to launch 7.6?

I do think they got their priorities wrong. The competition is not
sleeping.

I'll stop it here. This is my personal view.

As I said with a bit of tweaking an SB Touch will make a great
Transport.
Logitech got a great base with this product. Yep a base. That's there
problem. Not everybody is willing to hack the device for better
soundquality.

Logitech just needs to get some issues resolved to make it a winner
product. They probably don't even have to put much more money on it.

Of course the branding issue remains. I'm not sure if "audiophile" and
Logitech goes together.
My Touch Toolbox thread was moved into the "Audiophile" section within
shortest time.
And I guess you know what it means over here to end up in the
audipohile section of that forum.

--
soundcheck

::: ' Touch Toolbox 2.0 and more' (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com)