As a speaker designer.... my $0.02

#1. We have a better idea of what measurements correlate to a speaker
that sounds "better".

#2. We have much better software tools for simulation.

#3. We have better transducers due to #2 and we have better tools for
measuring them (Klippel).

#4. High quality low cost DSPs really allow much more ability to tailer
the electrical transfer function.   You have companies that are making
DSP room correction and that still seems to be problematic.  There is
still some ambiguity about what should be changed about the in-room
response and what should be left alone so there are situations where
room correction can sound worse than the uncorrected version.

I'd note.... that not all of these "improvements" have necessarily
translated into universally better loudspeaker designs.   I routinely
see poorly designed loudspeakers in the review pages of big-name
magazines and they get great reviews even though we know, beyond any
shadow of a doubt, that they would perform poorly in non-sited
evaluations.  If you know what to look for... there are many more
examples of good design too.

--
Kevin Haskins