firedog;639631 Wrote:
> Ralph-
>
> As everything in audio, it depends on the implementation.  There's good
> USB which sounds as good as anything else around, and not so good USB,
> which can sound very bad.
>
> As computer audio becomes more popular, USB is being used more and more
> by DAC makers for 2 reasons: (1)it's ubiquitous on just about every
> PC/MAC/XXX Box computer made in the past 10 years, and will continue to
> be for the predictable future; (2) modern USB hardware and drivers have
> made the sound at least the equal of the other formats (SPDIF/FW).
>
> Some of the quality USB>SPDIF converters out now have been demonstrated
> (reviews, listening tests) to be the best sounding option for many DACs
> - even better than straight SPDIF.
>
> Yes, getting high quality USB reproduction does cost a few bucks extra.
> But not fair to say that it is inherently inferior. Read some recent
> reviews of the better USB devices/DACs out there and see what they say.

Thanks for putting this almost back on topic. I understand why there is
a rush to make good sounding USB DACs but what I don't understand is why
would one use USB instead of SPDIF when both are available?

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch