Phil Leigh;640234 Wrote:
> Given that speakers are BY FAR the biggest contributor to the overall
> sound of a system, it strikes me as unlikely that someone would upgrade
> from Brand X, Model Y to Brand X, Model Y.1...
>
> Speakers are unlike "electronics" in that respect - lots of folks would
> move from a 3rd-gen iThing to a 4th Gen iThing to get the latest bells,
> whistles and kudos. An analoguous speaker upgrade would seem unlikely
> to tick the same boxes...
> Often it is possible to get a manufacturer upgrade (e.g. new tweeter or
> x-over) instead.
>
> For what it's worth, the ProAC Tablette is far and away the best small
> passive monitor I've heard...not sure it  fits your budget though.
>
> As with all micro/bookshelf monitors, a sub is required if you want any
> actual bass below 70 Hz...

So if I need my really need my "boxes ticked" I should look for a
change - interesting...

I suppose Phil is right in that it makes some sense to try something
different with a new speaker purchase - except that my experience with
my current speakers has been so positive.  I really haven't experienced
a profound desire to upgrade until now. This whole decision would be so
much easier if one of my current speakers were to show audible signs of
their age or fail outright.

I have looked into ProAc several times - but a few US east coast
dealers seem to have dropped the brand recently.  Same experience with
Tannoy (Revolution Signature DC4s look particularly interesting).

My SVS sub is amazing by the way - musical, adjustable, affordable,
built like a tank and relatively inconspicuous as subs go.  With that
sub in place and the Inguz corrections the mini-monitor path is
perfectly appropriate for me.

--
esbrewer

Server:  2.4GHz Intel iMac w/ MacOS 10.6.5, SBS 7.5.2
Sources: SB Touch, NAD C542, NAD T515
Amplification: NAD C720BEE
Loudspeakers:  Paradigm Studio 20 (v.1), SVS SB-12 Plus
Headphones:  Grado SR60, Etymotic ER4P

http://www.last.fm/user/esbrewer