pippin;638883 Wrote:
> Generally speaking, it's mainly size and volume/power. And quality at
> low volume/dynamic range.
> There are two main advancements:
>
> 1. You've got stronger magnets which means you can get the same Power
> out of smaller speakers, they can especially be flatter.
>
> 2. With active speakers and class D amps you don't need passive filters
> but you can have a separate amp per channel with an actively controlled
> frequency response. This means you can use much smaller boxes. Also,
> you've got much less losses, both of this means you need much les power
> because you don't have to overbuild all your components.
>
> Generally speaking you were able to tune a speaker to any sound you
> wanted already 15 years ago. But because passive filters are so much
> more limited than active ones you had to make sure you don't have big
> inequalities in frequency response of your chassis. Which means you had
> to over-size them.
> Same for amps. Since you want to stay away from extremes you need to
> over-build an amp, this of course gets worse due to the higher losses
> in the speaker and the filters.
> But, because you want to stay away from extremes this hurts your low
> volumes.
>
> As if my experience you can get similar results at a quarter of the
> volume, these days.

The active speakers clearly bring some advantages but many of them (at
least on the affordable end) are not my taste - LEDs, knobs, and no
grilles.  I wish more manufacturers (particularly those based in North
America) would simply offer active and passive versions of speakers
with similar aesthetics - or take the modular approach to crossovers
like Linn.  I almost purchased a active Linn Tukan based system when I
bought the Paradigm Studio 20s I'm looking to replace.  They were tiny
speakers and sounded brilliant - just no real bass to speak of.

--
esbrewer

Server:  2.4GHz Intel iMac w/ MacOS 10.6.5, SBS 7.5.2
Sources: SB Touch, NAD C542, NAD T515
Amplification: NAD C720BEE
Loudspeakers:  Paradigm Studio 20 (v.1), SVS SB-12 Plus
Headphones:  Grado SR60, Etymotic ER4P

http://www.last.fm/user/esbrewer