pippin;645562 Wrote:
> That's a myth. All Squeezebox players use 24 bit for internal
> processing.
>
> So the real question is: can your amp handle 24 bit input. If yes, look
> for other reasons for your flat sound. If no, use analog I/O between the
> SB and the amp.
>
> The lowest volume level at which you can send CD music to your amp from
> whatever source without loss is the volume the Squeezebox Touch has at
> around level 17-18 (or the Receiver at level 3, if the ramp i have is
> correct).

That's very interesting. In that case: Sorry for keeping the myth
alive.

The amp handles 24bit/96kHz input. So the perceived quality degradation
at low volume must stem from:
1) Speakers not playing to well at low volume
2) The poor hearing of yours truly :)

By the way: On my analog amp I tried setting the SB Receiver volume
very low and turning up the amps volume (Just for the sake of the
experiment). This also resulted in a rather flat and grainy sound.
But perhaps this is due to the lower signal to noise margin with the
very low analogue input?

/Martin

--
martinh

Best regards
Martin

CURRENT EQUIPMENT:
- Squeezebox Duet / Windows-based Squeezebox Server
- Cambridge DacMagic D/A converter
- Tara Labs Master G2 RCA interconnects
- Atoll IN100 Integrated Amplifier
- Argento copper speaker cables