cymbop;665297 Wrote:
> I'm also running a hardwired touch via coax into a W4S DAC-2.  Can you
> share your experiences with different coax cables or point me to a link
> if you've reported on them already?  I've only used my trusty Bluejeans
> coax, and am really curious about the differences you heard with other
> sorts.

My experience has been that while many coax cables sound different,
which sound "better" appears to be more a matter of matching the
particular components than anything else (exactly what I believe John
Swenson said in a thread I read recently).  I have a bunch of coax
cables, some purchased, some constructed by various people.  They range
in price from a couple of dollars to a couple hundred or so, and I have
had most for 20 years.  I have tried maybe ten cables between the Touch
and W4S DAC.  While many produce slightly different sound, determining
which produces the "best" let alone the "correct" sound is a tough
call.  For now at least, I have decided that my ancient MIT coax (the
one with the little interface box with dipswitches) probably sounds
best overall, but a very close second is another similar age Radio
Shack video cable with BNC connectors and adapters, which cost ~10 back
then.  My maybe third favorite coax is a $3 Radio Shack really crappy
looking video cable.  Clearly, I haven't seen any correlation at all
with price.  I have a Blue Jeans coax I bought several years ago, so
don't know how similar it is to current models.  While it has never
sounded bad, it has never provided the best sound in the few systems I
have tried it in.  Interestingly, I bought a recent vintage MIT digital
when they had them for half price a while back.  At first I kind of
liked its sound (though it sounded different from the 20 year old one),
but I would keep thinking I heard weird instances of high frequency
noise when using it, particularly when I was listening at very low
volume levels--and this happened only with that cable.  Very odd.  Have
never encountered anything like it before.  Eventually that newest cable
was consigned to the wasted purchase bin.  That about sums up my
experiences with coax cables between the Touch and W4S DAC.  Tried a
cheap Toslink briefly too.  Not bad, but not as good as the best few
coax connections.

--
ncarver