evdplancke;669118 Wrote:
> I am afraid you are not the only one to know the truth about jitter :)
>
> Just to broaden a little bit your culture, jitter in data networking
> protocols commonly means packet jitter, meaning that the delay between
> packets is varying over time.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter#Packet_jitter_in_computer_networks
> This is namely an important network characteristics for good voice
> quality in VoIP networks.
>
> Nothing to do at all with jitter on s/pdif protocol except that one may
> have an incidence on the other (this is just an hypothesis, consistent
> with the fact that variable processing load may have an incidence on
> s/pdif jitter).
>
> For sure, your opinion about this subject may differ from mine but I
> don't see where is the confusion over here ;)

Good that you bring that up.

There is a 'Wiki' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter) that pretty
much explains that the term jitter is not exclusive to
audiophiles.

All these different types of jitter are non linear variations and might
cause this are that nasty sideeffect.

Even though it's evident that there is an issue, nobody really has
nailed it down yet.

One reason IMO is that the industry got a huge problem to fight this
problem. As soon as they find with a solution, they'll have a great
marketing message. That's what we've seen on asynch USB - They still
selling it at as holy grail to fight PC originated distortions, which
is nonsense. They just cover a part of the story.

--
soundcheck

::: ' Touch Toolbox 3.0 and more' (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com)
:::  by soundcheck