SBGK;681718 Wrote:
> very funny, I upsampled my hearing
>
> slipped the SBT back on after the statement above. The Linn has quite
> an attractive sound, different to the SBT, more of a staged sound which
> I suppose is what you get with Linn sources. Back to the SBT, I am just
> very impressed with it after the Linn, no real signature sound, just
> gives loads of detail and rhythm, plenty of bass, a more open sound,
> but very enjoyable.
> Eric Clapton Backless 16/44 used for comparison.
>
> I used to play this on a record player and the SBT reminds me more of
> that sound, great dynamic range.
>
> if there is any hardness to the treble I think that is an attribute of
> the SBT and the only way round it is a hardware mod, which is why I am
> sending it away.

I think it might have been you who said earlier in this thread how SBT
now offers a presentation that almost goes beyond good turntable. That
statement seems to ring true with me and my listening buddies, as we
now find that each album played through SBT sounds more like listening
directly to the master tape.

With high end CD players, as great as they of course sound, each and
every CD tends to present the same sonic signature and smothers the
program with the same signature sheen (we call it 'maple syrup'
effect). After a while, it all starts sounding the same. Switching back
to the fully modded SBT, one is amazed at the diversity and the variety
and the versatility of various recording, mixing, mastering and
producing techniques. Some great sounding, some cringe worthy, some
in-between these two extremes.

Now, this may not be everyone's cup of tea. I can easily envision
people who prefer the sugar coating of a euphonically enhanced high end
CD player. But to each his own, I guess...

Btw, what exactly are you planning to do to the poor old SBT? Just
Botox it, or do a bit more invasive surgery? Please share...

--
magiccarpetride