SuperQ;685388 Wrote:
> The thing is, what you're talking about is completely psychosomatic.
> The tipping point is only in your head.  The reason it's called the
> "law of diminishing marginal returns" is because that's how the world
> works.  There is no tipping point.  There is no breakthrough.  It's all
> in your head.

I forgot to supply my math that goes with this. Now, I'm not a
mathematician, but I do know that certain things are liable to move
along linear functionality trajectory, while other things are more
prone to go exponential, logarithmic, etc. The math I'm talking about
here is none of those, and I don't know what functional pattern it
obeys. Let's just say it is an illustration of lateral, rather than
linear thinking.

Here is an example: suppose, for argument's sake, that we can supply,
as a reference point, a hi fi audio system that delivers full 100%
fidelity in music reproduction (impossible, I know, but humor me here).
Suppose now you go to Best Buy and purchase some god awful home theatre
sound system -- some shitty $50.00 Bluray player hooked into some
shitty AV receiver driving a pair of shitty Klipsch speakers. If you've
ever listened to such a system, you know how heartbreakingly bad it
invariably sounds. It's basically one buzzing, blooming ball of
confusion coming at ya!

Say, again for argument's sake, that by purchasing that 'turn key'
audio system, you have managed to cover about 5% of the fidelity (when
compared to how the 100% reference system sounds). OK, let's now try to
upgrade it. Suppose we replace those god forsaken tiny little copper
speaker wires with high quality speaker cables. Will the upgrade be
noticeable? I'd say barely. At best, we may notice a 1% improvement,
taking us into the 6% territory. But overall, it wouldn't be anything
even remotely exciting.

But if, at the other end of a spectrum, we have a hi fi system that
takes us 90% into the realistic territory, upgrading speaker cables,
while still affording us only 1% improvement, will be mind-blowingly
apparent.

So you see, 1% improvement is not always of the same magnitude.
Depending on where in the sliding scale of sophistication your system
lies, 1% improvement may yield no noticeable difference, or it may rip
your head off.

--
magiccarpetride