Munroe;686095 Wrote:
> I really don't understand why people with an external DAC bother with
> this tweaking anyhow.  The DAC should have more  of an effect than the
> tweaks, and likely adding it's own flavor to the sound, making the
> results if any achieved by users completely unrepeatable except for
> those owning that particular DAC.
>
> Now if you are like me and use only the analog outs, at least whatever
> change in quality you believe you have made could be tested by everyone
> owning the touch itself.  Again, I have my doubts much will improve the
> basic settings, without some sort of hardware change, ie different
> power cord or something simple like that. Go old school and run it for
> a few weeks, and then see what you think of the quality.  Mine seems to
> improve with a few weeks under its belt.

The tried and tested truth about DACs, any DACs, is that they are not
immune to the universal law of gigo (garbage in, garbage out). A DAC
that retails for $8,000.00 will still deliver shitty sound if it's
being fed shitty signal. Once the noise enters the picture, it
interferes with the signal, and no fancy DAC will ever be able to
remedy that.

This is why we're attacking the problem upstream. Make sure that the
source is sending crystal clear signal to the downstream components.
There will be plenty of opportunity, once the signal gets handled by
the downstream component, to dirty it up, and then you'll roll with the
punches. But starting with a dirty signal is definitely not going to get
you anywhere.

--
magiccarpetride