Phil Leigh;686313 Wrote:
> Interesting as this is, you are comparing two wildly different
> masterings... so unfortunately it doesn't tell us very much other than
> you clearly prefer one mastering over the other (which is fine). It
> certainly says nothing about the relative sonic merits of the Touch and
> your turntable/catridge/phono pre-amp...
>
> A much better test would be to compare a good rip of YOUR LP against
> the LP.
> Whenever I have done this - approx 150 times - I have never heard the
> Touch sound worse - it has always sounded slightly better and the
> reason is because the vinyl playback suffers from the effects of
> acoustic feedback which the rip doesn't (unless it was done badly -
> i.e. with the sound playing through the speakers!)

I am pretty sure the masterings are from the same remaster.  I have two
versions of the LP, as well as the 80's CD remaster ripped lossless and
the more recent 24/96 I assume converted from the SACD remaster
sessions to FLAC.  There is a large difference in quality on the
Squeezebox between the two generations..  It's strange that every
generation of remasters is within itself remastered differently for
every medium of the reissue.

The sound was very very close, but it is possible the 24/96 remaster
isn't the quality of the pressing of the vinyl, perhaps.  Likely the
vinyl rip would be the way to remove that variable.  I was hoping the
toolbox 3.0 might be the magic that bridged the gap.

But ripping vinyl to test is something I have never attempted. .  My
assumption is to plug an RCA to headphone jack from the preamp to a
macbook pro, and get some software.  Any recommendations?  Converting
to achieve a high quality digital transfer is something worth spending
some time on.  Is the improvement in sound  you experienced with the
aid of a separate Dac, or the basic analog out of the SBT? Do you rip
it 24/96? Or does it matter?

Overall, my own goal is to bring the SBT closer to, or surpass, the
vinyl sound.

--
Munroe