firedog;686423 Wrote:
> The various versions may be from the same DSD (SACD) source master, but
> that doesn't mean that the LP and the high res are produced from the
> same master. Pretty much by definition, the LP will require mastering
> changes from the digital file in order to make a proper LP remaster. So
> yes, comparing the hi-res to the LP is an apples and oranges
> comparision.
>
> I agree with Phil. If you can make a high-quality rip of your LP, that
> might tell you something. I've ripped about 50 LPs, and the resulting
> digital file sounds like what most people think "analogue" sounds like.
> Like an LP.
>
> In other words, the sound many don't like about "digital" isn't
> inherent in a digital recording by it's nature; it comes from something
> else in the recording, mastering, and reproduction process.

Yes yes yes agree totally with all of this. By definition you can't cut
an LP with the same EQ master as you use to produce a CD (never mind
SACD) - the cutting heads just couldn't cope!

I think it's fair to say that most of what peoiple don't like in
"digital" is down to poor mastering and poor technology choices early
on in digital evolution - the ADC's and DAC's that were in the
recording/mastering chains of CD's made until well into the 90's leave
a lot to be desired by todays standards. Also, mastering engineers
really didn't get a proper handle on this technology until about the
same time - there was a lot of hangover from the analogue days
(especially around levels and not understanding the drastic differences
in approaches to gain staging and what really happens in 16-bit level
manipulation...)

It is certainly possible today to walk into a shop and purchase a CD
that 99.99999% of people would swear was "analogue" in character, even
though the entire chain was 100% digital.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.