My theory is that the weakest link in the system will limit the sound.
However, good modern electronics can be had for a few $Ks. But good
speakers usually cost more than that. So the speakers would meed more
investment than any piece of the electronics.

If you listen to Classical or Jazz music, you probably will need a set
of full range speakers that go down to 30Hz. My experience is that it
is very hard to integrate a subwoofer to the 2-ch for these two types
of music. They never sound quite right to my ears.

But for Rock music, I prefer to add subwoofers to the mix. I have two
15" sealed subwoofers (each rated 1000W RMS/2000W Peak)and they do
wonder for Rock music. But they never sound right when I play 1812
Overture from Telarc. The cannon guns sound muddy no matter how I
adjust these subwoofers and the processor that sends signal to them.

--
vett93

Main system:
Source: Transporter, modded by ModWright:
http://www.modwright.com/modifications/transporter-truth-mods.php
Preamp: Dude from Tube Research Labs:
http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/dude.html
Amp: NP100 Platinum from AltaVista Audio:
http://www.altavistaaudio.com/np100.html
Speakers: Alto Utopia Be from Focal-JMLab:
http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/focal_jmlab_alto_utopia.htm