SBGK;688509 Wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I am interested in getting some ferrites to try and reduce any rfi
> coming into my laptop, router, ethernet etc. You said you had used them
> for a no of years and I wondered if you have any recommendations for
> which ones to get and how to deploy them or is it just trial and error,
> also how can I measure their effectiveness ?

I use the ones available from Maplins... see here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/clip-on-ferrites-32799

there are different sizes for different diameter cables.I use one at
each end of each ethernet and mains cable - and also on any DC cables
from DC supplies (e.g. for the router and touch).

Accepted practice is to loop the cable at least once around the core
for maximum effect but obviously this is only possible with thin
cables. For thicker cables, just clip them on, they need to be a tight
fit otherwise they wont be effective and will also slide down the
cable.

As far as measuring their effect  - if you had an interference problem
you could see it on a scope. Otherwise, just listen.

Maplins also sell ferrite rings
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ferrite-rings-29788
with these you wind a few turns of cable around the ring. These are
very effective for mains cables.

You can try both types of ferrite on coax spdif and audio cables too.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.