evdplancke;689106 Wrote:
> Nyquist theorema tells there is no benefits but is based on the
> following assumptions:
> 1) sampled signal is made of perfect dirac pulses... practically they
> will look like square pulses resulting in a quite bad low pass sin x/x
> filtering that zeroes at 1/T where T is the width of the pulse
> (staircase sampled signal being the worst with 1/T equals to sample
> freq)
> 2) sampled pulse has a constant time period... but in reality time
> period is varying due to jitter
> 3) signal reconstruction is using perfect brickwall filters... but in
> practice it is very difficult to have steep filter slope without
> artifacts
>
> In conclusion, there might be a (big?) gap between theory and
> practice.
>
> According to the 3 assumptions above, here are the (audible?) benefits
> of 96khz:
> 1) higher sample freq is reducing the low pass effect of square pulses,
> rejecting the resulting zeroes to higher freq
> 2) doubling the number of pulses adds redundancy to the signal that
> increases immunity to jitter
> 3) less steep brickwall filters are needed for signal reconstruction,
> reducing artifacts and improving linearity
>
> So hi res might technically improve the accuracy of reconstructed
> signal even if baseband signal does not contain any freq above 20 khz.
>
> The question remains however: are those benefits audible or not? I'd
> say it makes it at least more robust against less than optimal receiver
> implementation.

I am not really sure what you mean by 1)except as a corollary of 3).
and I'm not sure about 2) either -surely a higher sampling rate would
require more accurate timing in the ADC? not that I think this is an
issue.

The real point is that doubling fs halves the quantisation noise in the
audible spectrum.This the equivalent of adding 1 bit albeit very
inefficiently since you have doubled the data rate whilst increasing
the amount of information by the same amount you could have achieved by
adding one bit which would have increased the data rate by 1/16.It does
give you some room to play with for noise shaping though.

I think 3) is the real time domain issue. But it's worth pointing out
that the fundamental issue is that increasing fs enables you to have
less steep filter in the anti alias stage of ADC. But it all begs the
question - given the ability to create very steep digital filters with
negligible passband ripple or phase issues, what are the artefacts?

I note however that daniel weiss indicated in an interview that he
thought 16/88 would be  more beneficial as a consumer format than
24/48. I don't think he spelt this out but I assume it was because he
thought there was chance that there was something in the time domain
issues.

Even then though it's worth stressing that there should not be any time
domain issue if the pre-filtering pre ADC signal has no energy above
20kHz - there will not be any time smear then![I Hold my breath and
wait to be shown up as an idiot]

Equally If there is no signal above 20KHz in the 24/96 file then either
there was none in the pre recording sound [no time smear with sensible
filtering] or there was but it has been filtered out anyway ie the time
smear will have occured. . IN that case I can't see how there could be
any worthwhile improvement in a 96kHz file over a 44.1 kHz.

--
adamdea