SBGK;689162 Wrote:
> Phil, do you have a link to back up these 'facts'. I think the server
> takes the pcm out of the WAV file and chunks it up to send to the SBT.
>
> Must say my experience is totally different to your dogma that nothing
> can change the sound of the SBT and repeating dogma doesn't make it any
> more relevant to my listening experience. I have repeatedly fed back the
> results that pulling the cable doesn't make a difference to the sound.
>
> I am beginning to think you have a massively out of balance system if
> you require ferrites on the Ethernet cable, frequency modifier, room
> conditioner all to feed a mediocre preamp and then a load of junk
> surround sound stuff, no wonder you can't here a difference in sound.
>
> I don't mind being wrong, but don't lecture me with theories that don't
> match mine and other's experience. You should be able to hold 2 opinions
> and be able to give people the benefit of the doubt.

1) The server does not "take the PCM out of the files "... It sends the
data in the files as IP packets. All of the "taking out" and conversion
to audio or to a PCM bitstream for transmission via the digital
connections occurs within the Touch. I cannot even begin to understand
why you don't get this. This is the unique benefit of the design and is
totally different to running a sound card or USB digital interface
connected to a computer. Server and OS optimisations can have an effect
on those systems because the embedding of the clocks occurs within or
very close (electrically) to the computer. In the Squeezebox approach,
the Computer is not involved in the audio at all. It passes computer
files, NOT AUDIO.
There is no one on this forum apart from you that doesn't understand
this.

2) your cheap and ill-informed attempts at criticising my system are
pathetic. You have never heard it or indeed heard any of its
components. On the other hand I am very familiar with every component
of your system... Do you not miss the bottom 2 octaves?

3) If putting ferrites or magnets or strong cheese on your Ethernet
cable changes the sound in an obvious way, I suggest you post these
findings at Hydrogen Audio.
I 'm done with this thread and with your insane ramblings. someone else
can have a go, it's too tiring.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.