ralphpnj;690761 Wrote:
> If you are considering doing without a preamp perhaps you should look
> into getting a DAC with an analog volume control, in other words, a
> combination DAC/preamp.

Anything in particulary in mind?  A remote is a must.  Also I'm stuck
with the need for balanced connections for now because of the high-pass
filter that the Vandersteens require (can't be used with RCA-to-XLR
adaptors according to Richard).

One that I'm aware of is the Wyred 4 Sound DAC, which has a 32-bit
digital volume control.

I'm pretty happy with the Neko, so I'm not that thrilled with the idea
of yet another DAC, particularly as you often don't get to hear things
in advance these days.  Neko offered a free 30-day home trial.

The preamps I've been considering are the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE and a
Goldpoint passive (which is just a switchbox with a stepped attenuator;
I'd still use the SB for slight volume adjustment).

--
Daverz