jaimeclifton;692312 Wrote:
> I have just purchased a SB touch and have been looking around these
> forums getting very confused about all of the many abbreviations and
> options.
> My question is simple;
> 1. I have a SB touch and a brand new set of Tannoy floor standing
> speakers. What is the best way of connecting one to the other, in terms
> of quality of sound. My only source is going to be the SB and im going
> to stream all of my music via Spotify.
> Obviously im going to need an amp. Does this need to be an intergrated
> amp or can it just be a power amp as im only using the SB.
Is the Squeezebox the only source component you are going to use? If
the answer is "yes" you could go with the power-amp plus volume control
(or attenuators) discussed here, *but try to keep it simple.*

If the answer is no, and you might, in the future, be connecting a CD
player, DAB radio or other source *or want to keep things simple* then
get a good quality integrated amp.

> Is it best to have an external dac (do you have any dac recommendations
> under £600) and if so, do i have do disable an option in the SB if I
> use one.
Not initially. The Touch already has an excellent internal DAC that you
will struggle to better without paying a lot of money. If you are using
the analogue RCA plugs there is no need to disable anything. If you are
interested in music rather than hi-fi it would be better to *spend the
money on a few more CDs and keep it simple.*

Philosophical note from somebody who in their 20s had a severe case of
"upgraditis" and was living in "tweak hell"; Go to a decent hi-fi
dealer with a proper listening room who is prepared to give you some
time (I took a day of holiday and did not regret it). Take your
speakers (if they don't have your model) and do some *blind* listening
to amplifiers.  Pick the one that sounds best in your price range, buy
it, plug it in and forget it.

Don't buy an amplifier, DAC or any other piece of equipment based only
on what I, a magazine review, or anybody else tells you.

Don't dismiss second hand or ex-demo equipment. I bought my amplifier
in a blind listening test. It was over 10 years old when I bought it
and, despite being half the price, it blew anything newer I tried of
the water. It is still my main amplifier and it is now 30 years old!

> What is the best way of connection between the SB to the amp? Simply via
> phono cables
If connected to a decent amplifier then the RCA (phono) cables will be
fine.

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ (500GB) NAS running LMS 7.7.0 on SSODSmod
4.14
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.