item_audio;693322 Wrote:
> If I can Paxman you for a direct answer: do you believe it's possible
> for a better PSU to improve an SB connected optically to a DAC?
>
> No doubt you see the implication of the question, and why it relates so
> directly to the less alarming conclusions reached by TAS. I've no
> interest in discussing intangible claims to do with bit-rot or the
> astral plane or chakra alignment of a given file format. I am
> interested in real world performance and real world issues.
>
> Here's another one: is it possible for a USB > SPDIF converter to sound
> different to a direct USB connection? Or to another USB > SPDIF
> converter? What about upgrading the power supply to a USB > SPDIF
> converter?
>
> Bits-are-bits 'purists' feel that that nothing could be less useful
> than a device that turns noughts and ones into exactly the same noughts
> and ones traveling along a different wire.
>
> Some here evidently feel that using an optical cable out of the
> transport makes everything else about that device irrelevant, or that
> 'analog domain' modifications like power supplies have no effect on
> digital signals.
>
> Do you have the conceptual knowledge to see why/how these things could
> - in theory - sound different?
>
> Another question (this one a trick): do you believe that two components
> can measure the same but sound different?
Oh God... Deep sigh...

Yes I'm sure i have plenty of "conceptual knowledge" whatever the hell
that is... I've been in this game for 35 years...

using TOSLINK to connect Touch to DAC eliminates any galvanic
connection between them. This means there is no electrical route for
certain types of noise to pass between the units IN EITHER DIRECTION.

The same would also be true for transformer isolated coax s/pdif
connection, but these have other issues - for example the insistence on
using unsuitable or badly screened/earthed transformers...

yes I'm sure a USB-spdif converter can sound very different from a USB
connection <asynchronous) to a USB DAC.

S/pdif sucks compared to PROPERLY implemented asynchronous USB or i2s
because ofthe whole clock recovery/jitter issue. Not tha you can't
royally mess up an i2s or asynchronous USB connection, of course...-

As for your trick question, yes of course things can measure the same
but sound different... This simply means the wrong thing is being
measured.

What is not DEBATEABLE is that an ADM (null delta) test will show if
anything at all is different... Audible or not. If ADM says there is no
difference, then there is NO DIFFERENCE.

So bring on your esoteric tweaks to alter the output from the DAC by
changing what is happening in the SB player...and let ADM detect the
reality of such claims.

Don't fancy that? ... Don't blame you. So far a lot of things have
failed... Expensive digital cables being the first victim :-)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.