paulster;693704 Wrote:
> I just wonder if any of the people here who believe that computers
> and/or storage can actually make a difference have any problems using
> ATMs, credit cards or any form of banking that requires computers and
> ethernet connections.
>
> It's got me worried now! ;-)

Snort!!!

This whole thing is running rampant. I'm a very good software and
systems engineer, and I have more than a little electronics in my
background.

(1) I can change a dratted USB cable between my Mac and a high end
synch USB DAC (a Wavelength Proton) and -I can hear a difference-.
Honestly, truly, and with repeatable certainty. So what? Im absolutely
sure there is a reason for it, but I am also sure anyone who tells me I
am hallucinating is wrong. :)

(2) As a test, I took and wrote AIFF music files to a linux disk as a
consecutive file, and as a very scattered around the disk fragmented
file. It made a difference in the playback sound. Surprised me, but it
did. Why? I don't know. I was annoyed that it made a change, but the
obvious suspect is disk activity. The differences went away when I
loaded the files into memory before I sent them to the DAC.

(3) The Touch sounds different if you play back through different
interfaces. And if you are playing around with USB, if two different
USB cables sound different - so what? I haven't tried it, because I
haven't got a clean USB playback from a touch yet. If when I do try it,
they sound different, it isn't going to rock my world. I'll just use the
cable that sounds best and enjoy the music.

(4) As for TAS nonsense, yeah - even a 4 year old would have little
difficulty in seeing through that. But other folks around the net have
similar personal experience it is difficult to dismiss.

Besides, who is it hurting guys?  The net is full of vampire hunters
determined to track down and stomp any such "nonsense." They do seem to
take all the fun out of the hobby.... I wonder if the whole flaming
issue is just a publicity stunt for "The Hunger Games?"

-Paul

--
paul.raulerson