totoro;693725 Wrote:
> The programs we are talking about are rippers. If two rippers (of the
> standard sort that the TAS people are talking about, that used standard
> library functions to write data to disc) write out bit-identical files,
> if there are any differences at all due to the location on disc, etc,
> etc, then those differences BY DEFINITION have nothing to do with the
> behavior of the rippers. The TAS people even admitted that the files
> were bit identical. Note that we could change the locations by simply
> moving the files: would these differences still exist? Would they then
> be due to the move? They clearly wouldn't be because of different
> behavior by the rippers.

You have to, in this case, play the thing to hear any difference. I
would posit that any possible difference that might be there is due to
the way the player reads and plays the file. I don't buy there is any
hidden information in the file.

You might note I indicated extreme fragmentation of the file I wrote
and tested against a contiguous file. When I say extreme I mean to a
degree that is utterly unlikely to occur in normal operation. Also, I
sent the file to a locally attached DAC, not over the network, which
would, I suspect, have eliminated any difference.

Still, it is a reproducible and easily duplicated test that will show
up differences in the sound of the playback of two bit for bit
identical files.

As I indicated, I am highly skeptical of the TAS article and it's
authors. But, there are people who are reporting similar phenomena, and
some of these folks have a lot more credibility. Not only that, but it
is not just one or two peoe "alone in the dark"- but a dozen or so. I
am not ready to dismiss the possibility as swamp gas. Yet.

> I might or might not, depends what the conclusions I made were. I've
> certainly been wrong about things before, and had people tell me so:
> not sure why I would be so quick to reject someone telling me such a
> thing if it was about an effect I was already dubious of.

Perhaps. However, in this thread, just by saying I can hear a
difference in two USB cables between a particular machine and a
particular DAC, I have been told I have been brainwashed by a cult. :)

To but that in perspective, I was irritated when I found I could hear a
difference, and enlisted my wife to help disprove what I thought I
heard. With suitable blind testing, I was able to identify each cable
19 out of 20 times. In the process, my wife decided she could hear a
difference, and when we switched places, she identified the correct
cable 20 out of 20 times, blindly. More, over the next few weeks, I
switched the cables randomly, and almost very time, she noticed the
switch with no prompting or cues from me. Got to the point it pissed
her off each time I switched them around, in fact. :D

Note please, that was enough to convince me to trust my own ears, at
least when judging USB cables in this particular situation!

--
paul.raulerson