I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I am one of those
people that can tell the difference between flac decode on server or
Touch. I have tested it with DBT and it is there. Its not huge, many
other things make a bigger difference. I have not been able to tell any
difference between the source file on the server being flac or wav. I
did do a trial with streaming flac with different compression levels,
that one was pretty inconclusive. There was maybe a hint that the
higher compression levels are slightly worse, but I wouldn't stake
anything on it.

As to the exact mechanism, I don't know, I have a guess, but no easy
way to test it. The standard explanation that its "processor load" I'm
pretty sure is false, my guess is that its differences in processor
cache hit rates. The lower the cache hit rate the more the main memory
has to be accessed. Every memory access puts a large electrical load on
the system which shows up as noise on the PS and groundplane. I have
done some tests with a simple ground plane analyzer and DO see
differences in noise level and spectrum with different things going on
in the Touch. I'm in the process of building a much more sensitive
device and will be sure to do some tests with streaming type once I get
it up and running.

I run my system wired to the Touch with everything sent PCM, I have not
had any downside to streaming PCM, and it does have a slight improvement
in sound for me. If doing so caused any issues (not playing things,
dropouts, cliks, pops, etc) I would have no qualms about streaming
flac.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson