darrenyeats;694542 Wrote:
> Well, my sub journey continues.
>
> I have now settled on placing my sub at the same distance as my main
> speakers (centre of driver basis).
>
> Because the sub gives better "massage" sub-sonic performance when it's
> near to me, coffee table style, I've been trying to integrate it there.
> However, there or anywhere in front of the plane of the speakers,
> something sounds just wrong. I think it's the phase of the bass
> wavefronts being mismatched at this frequency or that. Even if I play
> with the phase control on the sub, this helps certain frequencies to be
> in phase, but other bass frequencies are not. The crossover is set to
> lowest frequency.
>
> This is an all ATC set up and it sounds like the crossover is designed
> to integrate well...assuming the drivers are roughly in the same plane.
> Certainly I've heard the exact same equipment positioned similarly in a
> bigger room and I got the "rightness", "bass oomph" and "massage"
> factors at the same time. In my smaller room I get only the first two.
> This may be physics....could be factors of construction or being
> physically nearer the mains skewing my hearing/feeling balance (think
> about headphones playing loud...a high sonic SPL doesn't equate to body
> shaking amounts of air movement because the drivers are nearer, much
> nearer in this example, to your ears).
>
> Not everything is better in the current position because a big room
> mode lives in the crossover region. However, I have Helmholtz
> resonators managing that. Overall, it is better. Maybe I will play with
> the gain a bit.
>
> Any advice or suggestions? Even random ramblings like mine are
> welcome.
> Darren
>
> Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

My "old time" instructions for managing a bi-amp setup could be helpful
if used in reverse:

Set the bass segment and the treble segment to maximum volume. Play
music at a reasonable volume and reduce the treble gain until the music
sounds "normal."

The is very simply done with an active crossover but most subs just
have sub gain control so you end-up starting with no sub gain and
adding slowly.

For sub-satellite setup, I agree with Dynaudio: let the satellites play
full range. (Assuming the satellites are substantial.)

A well done sub is very subtle. Don't be tempted to want to hear it all
the time.

In a smaller room, avoid having the driver parallel to it's back wall.

pski

real stereo doesn't just wake the neighbors, it -enrages- them.. It is
truly the Golden Age of Wireless