Jeff Flowerday;695929 Wrote:
> I'm just test driving this dac.  Chinese made, Grant Fidelity is the
> North American distributor which just happens to be right here in
> Calgary.
>
> It's built around the: ESS Technology SABRE32 Reference DAC (ES9018S)
>
> http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Yulong-Sabre-D-18-Reference-32-bit-D-A-Converter.html
>
> My thoughts so far:
>
> Doing a quick input switch back and forth with my Rega dac, I can say
> that vocals and instruments pop more on the d18.  Slightly larger sound
> stage that is a little more forward on the d18.  Rega seems ever so
> slightly veiled and compressed in comparison.  The Yulong sure is
> smooth overall with no lack of detail.
>
> Can't wait for it to get a few more hours on it the Rega is well broken
> in.

Sounds interesting Jeff, I might have to pay Grant Fidelity a visit
when I'm in Calgary this summer - do they have a good storefront with
stuff on display?

I must say that my first experience with Sabre DAC's wasn't all that
positive.  I used an Eastern Electric MinMax DAC Plus for 2 weeks.  The
tube stage on that unit was clearly inferior and noisy and I didn't feel
the SS output was any better than the Transporter.

Wondering which SB device you're using the DAC with?

--
Archimago