Archimago;696163 Wrote:
> Sounds interesting Jeff, I might have to pay Grant Fidelity a visit when
> I'm in Calgary this summer - do they have a good storefront with stuff
> on display?
>
> I must say that my first experience with Sabre DAC's wasn't all that
> positive.  I used an Eastern Electric MinMax DAC Plus for 2 weeks.  The
> tube stage on that unit was clearly inferior and noisy and I didn't feel
> the SS output was any better than the Transporter.
>
> Wondering which SB device you're using the DAC with?

He's got lot's of product in his store front, you'll enjoy spending
some time listening to stuff.

I've never heard the transporter so I can't compare the Yulong to it.
I have a Touch that's feeding it.

>From everything I've read the Sabre Reference DAC is really tough to
implement properly.  With the D18 he was specifically trying to achieve
a warm, smooth musical DAC, at least that is what I was told.  From what
I read many of the others dacs using the ESS Sabre don't achieve it.

I'm very interested in the Simaudio Moon 380D when it becomes
available.  It's way more expensive, but I really love my 600i
integrated and want to see what they do with Sabre DAC.  Plus it will
have a streaming music option.

--
Jeff Flowerday