brillo;696435 Wrote:
> That's interesting.  I have the original Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC
> (not the DAC Plus), also a SABRE-based DAC, and I think it blows away
> the Transporter both in tube and solid state mode.
>
> I love the Transporter and have a lot of respect for it, but I now use
> it as a transport feeding the DAC.

I had it for about 2 weeks borrowed from a friend when he was out of
town to test out since I was interested in something to feed my
Transporter into.

He warned me about the tube stage before hand already since he was
clearly disappointed by it (he uses a Mac Mini as source) and I concur.
The standard tube stage was clearly inferior with audibly raised noise
floor when I hooked up my headphone amp feeding my Senn HD800 to it.

As for the SS stage, I would't call it a knockout, but I still felt the
Transporter sounded very clean in comparison to the MinMax.  Perhaps
there was that bit of "smoothness" to the MinMax sound but I believe it
actually came with some loss of resolution for the nuances.

Anyhow, I think there is as always subjectivity in these evaluations.
I would love to see someone do measurements of the MinMax to see how it
stacks up.

--
Archimago