mlsstl wrote:
> Unfortunately, the magic wire and tweak got its foothold in the hobby
> for two reasons. First, the price competition, especially with big box
> stores and internet sales, for speakers and gear got so intense that
> those remaining on the sales side desperately needed some high-margin
> stuff. Second, the level of technical interest in the hobby
> (particularly at your DIY level) subsided over the years which left a
> base of consumers who were perhaps a bit more susceptible to the pitches
> for magic wires.

Great insight! I never thought of the Magic/Monster Cable phenomena from
the sales/margin prospective. That goes a long in helping to explain why
the mass market audio retails so willingly push overpriced cables onto
the unsuspecting public.

Mass market Blu-ray player: $79 with a razor thin profit margin.

Magic HDMI cable: $79 with a super wide profit margin.

Total: $160 with a workable profit margin.