I will post this here as its clearly unproven and something to discuss
on the audiophile board....

I've just posted a new app to the repro for Squeezebox Touch - this
provides an alternative to the built in Screen Off screensaver which
disables some of the processing associated with the screen when the
screen is off.  It does the same as TT screen off + also disables some
internals to the squeezeplay application related to rendering the screen
when it is off (reducing cpu load for scrolling text etc when the screen
is off).

The intention is you may want to try it as a "when playing" screensaver
which will bank the screen after the delay and hence use less cpu power.
Whether this has an impact on the audio quality is unproven and the
reason I am posting here...

To install: On the player goto 3rd Party Apps, unselect "recommended
Apps only" and then select "Display Off"

[As an aside - I note that with the EDO app installed and the internal
digital out selected so that the analog output is not enabled, if you
measure the analog outputs on an oscillocope then you see a much lower
noise floor than when the analog dac is enabled.  At the limit of my
simple scope's gain I can see noise which is related to cpu activity - I
believe looking at this, that disabling the screen does have a
measurable impact, but it is very much at the limit of what I can see
and well below the normal noise floor of the analog output.  Whether
this impacts what you can hear is a completely different matter....]